Managing your annual return

Updating your details on the Companies Register each year

To remain on the register, you must confirm or update your company's information when you file your annual return.

On this page:

When your annual return is due

When your company is incorporated, we tell you which month your annual return will be due each year.

If it's your first year after incorporation

Your company doesn't need to file an annual return in the first calendar year following incorporation with the Companies Office. For example, if your company was incorporated in 2022, your first annual return won't be due until 2023.

If your company isn't trading

Regardless of whether or not your company is trading, you must file an annual return each calendar year. Please note, you won’t need to file an annual return in the year you incorporate your company. If your company has stopped trading, you may want to consider applying for removal of your company from the register. Seek professional advice before taking this step.

If your company is registered overseas

All companies on the register, including overseas companies, must file an annual return.

You can change your filing month

You can change your annual return filing month online and free of charge. Please note though that you can't change your filing month:

  • if your annual return is overdue
  • to the current month and year, or
  • to the months of December or January.

Receive email or text reminders

Receive regular email or text message reminders during the month your company's annual return is due.

Who can authorise an annual return

The annual return must be authorised by a company director, or by a solicitor, a qualified chartered accountant authorised for that purpose.

Get an extract of your current information

When preparing your annual return, it can be useful to download an annual return extract which shows which information must be confirmed or updated.

How to file an annual return

Requesting a time extension to file a return

If you're unable to file your company's annual return by the due date, you can apply for a time extension. If granted, you'll have an extra 20 working days from the date the extension is granted to file your annual return.

All help topics

Before you start a company 5 guides

Get an overview of how companies are structured, find out about the company records you need to keep, and what's involved when you incorporate with and report to the Companies Office.

Shares and shareholders 7 guides

When you incorporate, you must provide details of all company shares and shareholders. As changes occur, you must update this information on your own share register and in your company's annual return.

Company directors 7 guides

Directors have responsibilities to their company and shareholders, and under the Companies Act 1993. You must register all your directors with the Companies Office and they must sign a consent form.​

Filing annual returns 8 guides

Find out about filing an annual return — the information you need to update, how to change your filing month or request a time extension — and what happens if you don't file your annual return by the due date.

Complying with the law 11 guides

Restoring a company to the register 4 guides

Only some companies can be reinstated to the Companies Register once they've been removed. Find out who can apply, what evidence to provide and if you should apply to the Registrar or the High Court.

Managing your online account 8 guides