When you incorporate your company, we tell you which month your future company annual returns will be due. You can change your annual return filing month to one that better suits your business, for example, the end of the NZ tax year.
When you can change your annual return filing month
You can only change your company's annual under particular circumstances.
You can't change your filing month:
- if your annual return is overdue
- to the current month and year, or
- to the months of December or January.
If you're having difficulty completing your annual return, you can apply for a time extension.
Authority to change your filing month
To change your company's annual return filing month, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Register
- authority to act for your company.
Update your annual return filing month
To update your annual return filing month, log in to your online services account, enter a company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN) and follow these steps.
- Select the Company Details tab.
- Select the Edit button next to Annual return filing month.
- From the Annual filing obligations screen, select your new Proposed annual return filing month from the drop-down menu.
- Select Submit.
- Check your Company summary screen to ensure the Annual return filing month information has been updated.
All help topics
Before you start a company
Starting a company
Keeping company details up to date
Once your company is registered with the Companies Office, nominate who will have authority to file your annual returns, and update your name, address, constitution, director and shareholder details.See all 14 guides for Keeping company details up to date