Changing your annual return filing month

Choose which month your return is due

When you incorporate your company, we tell you which month your future company annual returns will be due. You can change your annual return filing month to one that better suits your business.

When you can change your annual return filing month

You can only change your company's annual return filing month if your current year's return is not yet due or overdue. For example, if your return is due in March, you must register this change before the end of February.

You can't change your filing month to the months of December or January.

How to update your annual return filing month

To change your company's annual return filing month, you must have:

  • a RealMe® login
  • an online services account with the Companies Register
  • authority to act for your company.

Log in to your online services account, enter a company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN) and follow these steps.

  1. Select the 'Company Details' tab.
  2. Select the 'Edit' button next to 'Annual return filing month'.
  3. From the 'Annual filing obligations' screen, select your new 'Proposed annual return filing month' from the drop-down menu.
  4. Select 'Submit'.
  5. Check your 'Company summary' screen to ensure the 'Annual return filing month' information has been updated.

All help topics

Before you start a company 5 guides

Get an overview of how companies are structured, find out about the company records you need to keep, and what's involved when you incorporate with and report to the Companies Office.

Shares and shareholders 7 guides

When you incorporate, you must provide details of all company shares and shareholders. As changes occur, you must update this information on your own share register and in your company's annual return.

Company directors 7 guides

Directors have responsibilities to their company and shareholders, and under the Companies Act 1993. You must register all your directors with the Companies Office and they must sign a consent form.​

Filing annual returns 8 guides

Find out about filing an annual return — the information you need to update, how to change your filing month or request a time extension — and what happens if you don't file your annual return by the due date.

Complying with the law 11 guides

Restoring a company to the register 4 guides

Only some companies can be reinstated to the Companies Register once they've been removed. Find out who can apply, what evidence to provide and if you should apply to the Registrar or the High Court.

Managing your online account 8 guides