If you're unable to file your company's annual return by the due date, you can apply for a time extension. If granted, you have an extra 20 working days from the date the extension is granted to file your annual return.
How to request an extension
To request a time extension to file your company's annual return, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Register
- authority to act for your company.
Log in to your online services account, enter the company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN) and follow these steps.
- Select the Apply for an annual return time extension link.
- In the Applicant field, indicate whether you're applying on behalf of someone else or for yourself.
- In the Comments field, write a detailed description of why you need an extension to file your annual return.
- In the Supporting documentation field, select the Browse or Choose file button to upload any supporting documents.
- Select the Submit button to lodge your request for an extension.
- In the Support document preview window select Save to Continue, and Ok to confirm.
If your request for a time extension is approved
If your request is approved, we'll send you an email confirming:
- an extension has been granted, and
- the new due date for your annual return.
All help topics
Before you start a company
Starting a company
Keeping company details up to date
Once your company is registered with the Companies Office, nominate who will have authority to file your annual returns, and update your name, address, constitution, director and shareholder details.See all 13 guides for Keeping company details up to date