Requesting an extension to file an annual return

You can ask for more time to file your annual return

If you're unable to file your company's annual return by the due date, you can apply for a time extension. If granted, you have an extra 20 working days from the date the extension is granted to file your annual return.

How to request an extension

To request a time extension to file your company's annual return, you must have:

  • a RealMe® login
  • an online services account with the Companies Register
  • authority to act for your company.

Log in to your online services account, enter the company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN) and follow these steps.

  1. Select the Apply for an annual return time extension link.
  2. In the Applicant field, indicate whether you're applying on behalf of someone else or for yourself.
  3. In the Comments field, write a detailed description of why you need an extension to file your annual return.
  4. In the Supporting documentation field, select the Browse or Choose file button to upload any supporting documents.
  5. Select the Submit button to lodge your request for an extension.
  6. In the Support document preview window select Save to Continue, and Ok to confirm.
Apply for an annual return time extension

If your request for a time extension is approved

If your request is approved, we'll send you an email confirming:

  • an extension has been granted, and
  • the new due date for your annual return.

All help topics

Before you start a company 5 guides

Get an overview of how companies are structured, find out about the company records you need to keep, and what's involved when you incorporate with and report to the Companies Office.

Shares and shareholders 7 guides

When you incorporate, you must provide details of all company shares and shareholders. As changes occur, you must update this information on your own share register and in your company's annual return.

Company directors 7 guides

Directors have responsibilities to their company and shareholders, and under the Companies Act 1993. You must register all your directors with the Companies Office and they must sign a consent form.​

Filing annual returns 8 guides

Find out about filing an annual return — the information you need to update, how to change your filing month or request a time extension — and what happens if you don't file your annual return by the due date.

Complying with the law 11 guides

Restoring a company to the register 4 guides

Only some companies can be reinstated to the Companies Register once they've been removed. Find out who can apply, what evidence to provide and if you should apply to the Registrar or the High Court.

Managing your online account 8 guides