When your constitution changes, you must let us know within 20 working days. There’s no charge and you can do it online. If your company is incorporated in Australia, you only need to make the change there.
Changes you can make
- file a new or amended constitution
- revoke a constitution.
If your company is incorporated in Australia
If your company is incorporated with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC), you don’t need to advise us if you update your constitution.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), and the New Zealand Companies Office exchange information electronically. If you update your constitution on the ASIC register, the New Zealand register is updated automatically.
How to update your constitution
To update your constitution, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Register
- authority to act for your company.
Log in to your online services account and follow these steps.
- Search for the company using the company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN).
- From the search results, select the name of the company.
- Using the My tools button, display a menu of options.
- Choose Constitution — this shows under the Save column in the menu.
- Select Browse or Choose file to upload a constitution and a translation of your constitution if it's not in English.
- Enter the date you changed the constitution.
- Select Submit.
All help topics
Before you start a company
Starting a company
Keeping company details up to date
Once your company is registered with the Companies Office, nominate who will have authority to file your annual returns, and update your name, address, constitution, director and shareholder details.See all 14 guides for Keeping company details up to date