Changing your financial reporting month
Changing when your financial statements become due
You can request a change to the date your annual audited financial statements are due to the Companies Office. Before you do this, you must first apply to Inland Revenue to change your company's balance date. In NZ the common balance date for preparing financial returns is 31 March.
Changing your balance date
Before you can change your financial reporting month you must change your balance date. A director of your company must obtain approval to do this from Inland Revenue.
Changing your reporting month
If your request to change your balance date is approved, Inland Revenue sends you a letter confirming this.
You must then, as soon as possible, request a change to the financial reporting month against your company on the Companies Register.
Authority to request a change
To request a change to your financial reporting month you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Register
- authority to act on your company's behalf.
Request a change to your reporting month
To request a change to your company's financial reporting month, log in to your online services account, select the company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN) and follow these steps.
- Select the Company summary tab.
- Select the Edit button next to Financial report month.
- From the Proposed financial reporting month drop-down, select your new reporting month.
- In the Comments field provide the reason for changing your reporting month.
- In the Supporting Document Preview window select Confirm, then Save and Continue.
- Upload a scanned copy of the letter from Inland Revenue approving your balance date change.
- Select Submit.
Processing your request
Once we've considered your request we send you an email that:
- confirms your financial reporting month has been changed, or
- requests further information.