Applying to the High Court to restore a company

What happens when you apply to restore a company

If you restore your company to the Companies Register through a successful application to the High Court, you need to submit the court order to us before your company can be reinstated. 

Making a High Court application

You can apply to the High Court to restore a company under Section 329 of the Companies Act 1993 if at the time the company was removed:

  • the company was carrying on business or a proper reason existed for the company to continue in existence
  • the company was a party to legal proceedings
  • the company was in receivership or liquidation
  • you're a creditor, shareholder or a person who had an undischarged claim
  • you believe that there exists and intend to pursue, a right of action on behalf of the company under Part 9 of the Companies Act 1993
  • for any other reason it is just and equitable to restore the company.

Who can apply to the High Court

You can apply to the High Court if at the time the company was removed, you:

  • were a director or shareholder of the company
  • were a creditor of the company
  • were a party to legal proceedings against the company
  • had an undischarged claim against the company
  • were a liquidator or a receiver of the company.

If a company has been liquidated

If the liquidator has filed the final report and the company has been removed from the register, you must apply to the High Court to restore the company to the register. At the same time, ask the High Court to cancel the liquidator's final report. Cancellation re-opens the liquidation and allows the liquidator to continue in office.

Submitting your High Court order to the Registrar

If your application to the High Court is successful, you must submit the High Court order to us. You can do that online, or by post or email.

How to submit a High Court order online

To submit a High Court order online, you must:

  • have a RealMe® login
  • be a registered user of the Companies Register
  • have authority to act for your company.

Log in to your online services account and follow these steps.

  1. Search for the company using the company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN).
  2. Check that your account details are up to date and complete, including your email address. We'll send emails about your application to the address attached to your account.
  3. Select My tools, then Lodge other documents.
  4. Tell us who is making the application — whether you're making it yourself or on behalf of your employer.
  5. Select Court order from the drop-down menu of document types.
  6. Select Browse or Choose file to upload your High Court Order.
  7. Select Submit.

How to submit a High Court Order by post or email

The signed and sealed court order can also be sent to:

Companies Office
Private Bag 92061
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1042


How we process your application

When we receive the signed and sealed High Court Order we restore your company immediately. We don't need to give public notice.

You'll receive an email from us to confirm that we've restored the company to the Companies Register on the day we received the order.

All help topics

Before you start a company 5 guides

Get an overview of how companies are structured, find out about the company records you need to keep, and what's involved when you incorporate with and report to the Companies Office.

Shares and shareholders 7 guides

When you incorporate, you must provide details of all company shares and shareholders. As changes occur, you must update this information on your own share register and in your company's annual return.

Company directors 7 guides

Directors have responsibilities to their company and shareholders, and under the Companies Act 1993. You must register all your directors with the Companies Office and they must sign a consent form.​

Filing annual returns 8 guides

Find out about filing an annual return — the information you need to update, how to change your filing month or request a time extension — and what happens if you don't file your annual return by the due date.

Complying with the law 11 guides

Restoring a company to the register 4 guides

Only some companies can be reinstated to the Companies Register once they've been removed. Find out who can apply, what evidence to provide and if you should apply to the Registrar or the High Court.

Managing your online account 8 guides