All companies on the New Zealand Companies Register, including companies on the Overseas Register, must file an annual return. This is not a tax return — more a confirmation of your company’s details. The charge for filing an annual return is $49.74 (plus GST).
When to file your annual return
We’ll tell you which month you need to file your annual return. We send reminders to the email address you've given us around the time your annual return is due.
How to file your annual return
File your annual return online.
1. Log in to your online account
To file an annual return, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Register
- confirmed authority to act for your company.
There are 3 ways to access your company's account to file your annual return.
- Use the link in the reminder email.
- Use the link to File an annual return.
- Search the Companies Register for the company using the company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN). From the results, select your company. You are then taken to the File annual return screen.
2. File your annual return
To file an overseas company's annual return, you must confirm or update your company's details including:
- the address of the place of business or the principal place of business in New Zealand
- the people in New Zealand who can receive documents on behalf of the company — including a physical address for each
- the company's address for communication — this is the address we'll use to contact you
- the full legal name and residential address of each director — email addresses are optional.
If you need to, you can also:
- change the filing month for future annual returns, or
- if your company isn't incorporated in Australia:
- add new directors
- remove directors who are no longer on your board.
To complete the return, you'll need to:
- enter your name as the person filing the annual return
- choose your role from a drop-down list, for example director or authorised person
- confirm your email address so we can send you annual return reminders in the future, and
- give us your mobile phone number, if you want to.
If your company is incorporated in Australia
You can update all your details in the New Zealand Companies Register except details about your company directors. To update these details, contact the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC). They notify us of the changes.
3. Pay the fee for filing an annual return
The fee to file an annual return is $49.74 (plus GST).
Choose a payment option:
- credit card
- debit card, or
- direct debit.
When your transaction is complete, select Continue.
4. After you've filed your annual return
We send you an email confirming that your annual return has been filed.
You can check the information in your annual return by selecting:
- View company details on the screen that confirms you've completed your annual return
- Company summary, then
- Documents tab.